Sunday, June 5, 2016

A Sweet Beginning...

  

Meet my sweet roommate, Cassidy. 

     I know I am behind on my blogs...Please forgive me, I haven't had wi-fi until now! Here is a little about what the Lord has taught me during Orientation Week. I have never met so many amazing, inspiring, and encouraging people in one place! So, a HUGE thank you to all of my supporters who have helped me take part of City Project! 

     During orientation week, we studied the vision for this summer and went over some other logistics. The vision of City Project is that we would be "disciples who make disciples together."  Through Matthew 4:19, "'Come follow me,' Jesus said, 'and I will make you fishers of men,'" we defined a disciple as someone who is with Jesus, being changed by Jesus, and on mission with Jesus. My desire this summer is to long for Jesus. Being able to call him my Lord and Savior was costly! He  had to die a gruesome death for me and you on the cross, and too often I take his sacrifice for granted. It's a PRIVILEGE to be able to call him my Father!

     We also spent a lot of time getting to know each other. One Wednesday, we had field day when we played a huge game of a four-square-capture-the-flag sort of game. I went all out...I still have cuts and scrapes on my knees from that game and it was nearly two weeks ago! Another day, we played sand volleyball for 4 hours! I think my skin got about 5 shades darker... On Friday, we fasted throughout breakfast and lunch while we spent 4 hours in the morning at Duke Gardens reflecting on our first week and spending quiet time with the Lord.

     During this time, God revealed to me that my priorities have shifted. I have focused so much on getting to know everyone else that I had pushed getting to know Jesus off to the side. My selfish desires scream that I want to be best friends with everyone, which is totally unrealistic. I am a finite human being, and I know that I am only capable of making so many relationships. However, being surrounded by such awesome people, it has been challenging for me to set aside time for just me and Jesus. I know that Christian community is blessed and precious, but it can't replace my personal relationship with Jesus. So, I have reordered my first priority everyday to be to know God more. If knowing and being with Jesus is the only thing that I experience this summer, that is enough! Knowing God is enough! I am in no way shunning community at all. I stand in awe and just marvel at what a privilege it is to be completely immersed in Christian community for the entire summer! We are in such a unique season of our lives, and I am beyond grateful to be able to do life with 86 other college students who LOVE Jesus.

Prayer Points:
- that I will discipline myself to spend quiet time with Jesus every day.
- that I will serve and honor those around me, that I can be uplifting and encouraging to my sisters and brothers in Christ.
- that my heart will desire to long for Jesus, that the Gospel will be a source of JOY for me.
- that the Gospel be the primary motivator for all that I say and do.

Thank you for all of your support!

Much love,
Natsumi
   

No comments:

Post a Comment